Thursday, February 23, 2006

Research reinforces gum disease-atherosclerosis link

New research is reinforcing the longstanding belief that a connection exists between periodontal disease, or severe gum inflammation, and cardiovascular disease. The researchers hypothesize that the atherosclerosis may be a result of bacteria from gum infection entering the bloodstream, creating inflammation in other parts of the body.

It is too early to know if treating gum disease lowers the risk of heart disease, but gum disease may be a risk factor for heart disease -- one that can be prevented.

In other words, brush, floss and see your dentist regularly.

"If you have a healthy mouth, chances are you have a healthy body," the study author said.

The study is in its fifth year and includes more than 1,000 participants. Researchers are looking forward to more conclusive results in about five years.

Try this alcohol-free product to lower bacteria levels.

2 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, February 24, 2006, Anonymous howard bennett said...

I see my dentist/periodontist 4 times a year. After a dental tech. cleaning, my periodontist checks every tooth, gums, tongue (and maybe my senseof humor.

I believe as a result, I have a healthy mouth(except when I speak).

Howver I have had 3 angioplasties, a bypass and a valve change in the past 3 1/2 years. Unfortunately, for me, I don't believe there is a connection between a healthy mouth and atherosclerosis.

 
At 3:39 PM, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Michael D. Marcus, D.M.D. said...

There is an indisputable link bewteen periodontal disease and CAD. Live periodontal bacteria have recently been cultured from coronary artery plaque; however, a causative relationship has not been proven. As a dentist, I will match my periodontal health against anyone; yet, I have had an MI, angioplasty with stents, and recently bypass surgery. I counsel all my patients with active periodontal disease to see a cardiologist!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home